Monday, June 14, 2010

Debris!

The screeching sound of the Emergency Alert System can invoke a wide range of emotions. In the Midwest where severe weather is common, I imagine most responses are of concern or fear. During the Spring and Summer months we are at risk for tornados and severe thunderstorms and during Winter there is the possibility of blizzard conditions. Concern and fear are not unwarranted as these storms can be lethal in addition to causing millions of dollars in property damage. For me however, the sounding of the EAS sparks a feeling of excitement which flows through me like electricity.
Growing up in Tornado Alley is no doubt the cause of my fascination with weather. Hearing the haunting sound of a tornado siren followed by a hustle to the basement is a familiar experience for any Iowan. However I have always been much too curious (and stupid) to just sit in the basement and wait out a storm. If one of nature’s most destructive phenomenon is coming to climax just outside my window, I have to look. I suspect that many Midwesterners would call me naive, particularly anyone who has lost property or even loved ones to a storm. I am naive to an extent; I have never been harmed by or lost anyone to a tornado and the only property loss has been a few bits of siding and shingles. I understand the risks but severe weather gives me a thrill complete with sweaty palms. Some people need to jump out of a plane to get their blood flowing, all I have to do is keep and eye on the sky and have patience.
Perhaps I should have studied to be a meteorologist. The barrier for me is the amount of mathematics involved in studying weather. I am far more right brained than left and just passing calculus was quite the achievement for me. Though meteorology is not a career path for me I still had a desire to be more involved than just looking out the window.
A couple of years ago I received an email from one of the university departments. It was an offer for weather spotter training on campus. Being a spotter had not occurred to me until then and I immediately signed up. Unfortunately I was unable to make it to the training, disappointed, I told myself I would sign up next year. Time has a funny way of slipping by when you are not paying attention and another year passed. It was not until this year that I was finally able to fulfill my promise to myself.
I studied any online material I could get through NOAA during the weeks leading up to the training session. I arrived 40 minutes early just to be sure I would not miss it. Attending the session were construction workers, professors, a few students, and one ham radio operator. I have never been so excited to see a cheesy power point presentation. At the end of the training a sign up for weather spotter volunteers was passed around and I eagerly signed.
I am now an official weather geek and have my Skywarn spotter number! My number makes me a bit more credible in the eyes of the National Weather Service. Now instead of just gazing out the window I can actively participate in keeping my community safe. In addition to spotting at home I can chase! Actually anyone with a car can chase but now I feel like I have a little more reason to be out there. I am willing to drive most anywhere in the state if I get the opportunity to see a tornado. Am I crazy? Absolutely.
My eyes have been on the sky all of my life. Starting this year I will have my phone in hand ready to keep my community safe. I need a cape!
phobia[1]
I heart xkcd!

No comments:

Post a Comment