Monday, May 23, 2011

First Aid

Last year, while out running errands, I came upon a car crash that had happened only moments before my arrival. The two cars involved were in the middle of a busy road. Almost instantly there were onlookers along the side of the road. Much to my surprise these folks, rather than rushing to help, were busying themselves taking cell phone pictures of the now smoking cars. I have to admit that it was the sight of the onlookers rather than the crash that inspired me to act. I parked my truck out of the way and ran to the scene.

I noticed that there were still people in the cars as I approached. With both vehicles smoking heavily, my concern for the people inside greatly increased. Upon closer inspection the smoke was coming from the discharged airbags. After helping open one of the car doors I found myself asking, “what next”? Everyone appeared to be ok, though considerably shaken up. It was clear that the airbags had saved everyone in both vehicles. The cars were not on fire and I could hear sirens in the distance. A fairly happy ending considering the situation.

As I went back to my truck I became quite angry with myself. I was embarrassed that I had no idea on how to help anyone. Sure I had the guts to run out there but then what? Am I just an up-close onlooker? My ignorance was unacceptable and I had to take action.

The first chance I got I signed up for a first aid class through the American Red Cross. I did not have any prior first aid training and I was excited to learn. The class was small and there were only two of us that were there on our own accord, as opposed to job requirements. We took an entire morning and afternoon to discuss and practice the fine art of first aid. At the end of the day I left with 2-year certifications for first aid, AED, and CPR. A tedious job requirement for some but a real achievement for me.

I hope there is no “next time” but when it comes, I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment